On my sponsorship application, what does current or previous undertaking mean?
Current undertaking: Refers to the sponsorship application you are currently preparing.
Previous undertakings: Refers to sponsorship applications you are or were involved with, either as a sponsor or co-signer, where the applicants were granted permanent residence as a result of the application.
Applications that were returned, rejected or never submitted are not considered as “previous undertakings”.
Undertaking still in effect:
- The sponsorship application was approved,
- the persons you sponsored or co-signed for became permanent residents as a result of the sponsorship application, and
- The undertaking has not yet expired.
Undertaking not yet in effect:
- You are in the process of submitting another sponsorship application or a sponsorship application you submitted is being processed,
- The persons you are sponsoring are not yet permanent residents,
- Depending on the decision on your application, you might become financially responsible for the persons included in the sponsorship.
Answers others found useful
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- How long will it take to process my spousal sponsorship application?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: