What is considered work?
Work is any activity that:
- you are paid to do, or
- you are not paid to do but is a job that:
- you would usually be paid for, or
- would be a valuable work experience for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (for example, an unpaid intern).
Pay includes money or commission:
- an employer gives you,
- you receive for a service, or
- you receive for any other activity.
You usually need a work permit to work in Canada. Find out if you need a work permit.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: