Help Centre what do you need help with?

Which work permit fees do I have to pay?

In most cases, both workers and employers must pay fees before a work permit can be issued.

Check the fee list for the most up-to-date application fees. In rare cases, there are fee exemptions for some workers.


If you are applying for an employer-specific work permit, you must pay the work permit processing fee.

If you are applying for an open work permit, you usually have to pay the open work permit holder fee and the work permit processing fee at the same time.


If you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), you usually need to pay a processing fee to Employment and Social Development Canada. You will not need to pay the employer compliance fee.

If you do not need an LMIA, you must pay the employer compliance fee.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: