Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

It depends. Your permit (study or work) is not a visa and doesn't allow you to travel back to Canada.

When you return to Canada:

A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. The officer may ask you for proof that you applied for a post-graduation work permit (a copy of your application, the fee payment receipt, etc.)

If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to enter Canada.

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: