What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
We made changes to help reduce processing times for both in-Canada and overseas applicants.
These changes include the following:
- One application package for all spousal sponsorship applicants: All applicants, both in Canada and overseas, can now use the same application package and checklists.
- New basic guide: Applicants can prepare their application using a shorter, more basic guide.
- Personalized document checklist: Applicants can use one of four checklists (based on who is being sponsored) to find out which forms and documents they need to submit.
- Simplified relationship questionnaire: The new questionnaire is easier to understand and has fewer questions.
- Medical exam: Applicants no longer need to submit medical exams up front with an application. Instructions will be sent to the applicant when a medical exam is needed.
- Police certificates: Applicants need to provide only the police certificates from:
- the country where they currently live; and
- the country where they have spent most of their adult life since the age of 18 (if different from the country where they live).
We’ll request other police certificates only if needed.
- The person being sponsored can access more information through their online account: They can
- get instructions to send us other documents we need;
- see real-time information about their application status;
- receive messages from us in their online account.
Our infographics show how these important changes are helping bring families together:
Answers others found useful
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- How long will it take to process my spousal sponsorship application?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: