Will it delay my application if I add a dependent child to my application?
Yes. Processing time for your application will take longer because we need to process your request to add your dependant and check if your child is eligible to come to Canada with you.
To reduce delays, send us the information we need to process your dependent child as soon as possible.
If you don’t want a processing delay for your application, ther e are other ways your dependant could come to Canada:
- your child can apply for permanent residence on their own
- your child can visit you in Canada
- you can sponsor your child once you become a permanent resident of Canada if:
- you meet the sponsorship eligibility requirements, and
- your child qualifies as a dependant (meets the age limit and requirements for dependent children)
- If your child was 19, 20 or 21 years old between May 3, 2017, and October 23, 2017, you may be eligible to sponsor your child even if your child is over the age limit now.
Answers others found useful
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- How long will it take to process my spousal sponsorship application?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: