Help Centre what do you need help with?

There is a strike at my designated learning institution and I can’t continue my studies. What does that mean for my status as a study permit holder?

This situation is beyond your control and your status as a study permit holder should not be affected. As a result of the strike, you will:

You must continue to have valid status as a student in Canada to be able to return to class after the labour dispute is resolved. If you need to apply to extend your study permit during the strike, include a letter from the registrar of your designated learning institution that confirms that the strike has stopped you from attending school and pursuing your studies.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: