Will it take longer to process my application because I have to give biometrics?
It depends on the type of application.
For visitor visa, study or work permit applicants:
- The time it takes you to give your biometrics isn’t included in the application processing time.
- The sooner you provide your biometrics, the sooner we can start processing your application.
- Pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application to get the instruction letter as soon as possible. This letter is what allows you to go give your biometrics at an official collection point.
- After we send you a request, you have up to 30 days to submit your biometrics.
For most permanent resident applicants:
- The time it takes you to give your biometrics is included in the application processing time.
For all applications, give us your biometrics as quickly as possible. You can only give your biometrics after you pay the biometrics fee and we send you the letter that tells you how and where to give your biometrics.
If there is no biometric service available where you live, you may need extra time to travel to a service location. Find the location closest to you.
Answers others found useful
- How long will it take to process my application?
- When does my processing time start?
- Why did processing times information change?
- How often are the processing times for visa offices updated?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Why can’t I see my case status online?
- I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application online. Why?
- How are processing times calculated?
- Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
- Date modified: