Help Centre what do you need help with?

What is the temporary resident permit fee waiver for criminal inadmissibility?

Normally, if you were convicted of a criminal offence, you can’t enter Canada without a temporary resident permit. This permit has a processing fee of C$200.

However, for some criminal offences (like minor public mischief or theft), you may be able to get a permit for 1 visit without paying the fee if you:

You can’t get the temporary resident permit fee waiver if you have convictions for:

Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Canada is increasing the penalties for most impaired driving crimes. As of December 18, 2018, if you drive while impaired, you may be inadmissible for serious criminality. You won’t be eligible for the fee waiver. Learn more about the penalties for impaired driving.

Glossary term

Date modified: