How do I apply for a work permit?
Generally speaking, you must apply for a work permit before you enter the country. In some cases, foreign nationals can apply at the border.
If you applied for a work permit before you entered Canada, the visa office may have sent you a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction that states your application was approved. If so, you must present it when you enter Canada so that your permit can be printed and issued.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: