Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I apply for a work permit when I enter Canada?

You can only apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you don’t need a visitor visa. An officer will check that you meet the requirements of the permit you are applying for.

To apply, you need to bring:

You also need:

  • proof that you meet the qualifications and experience for the job you will do in Canada;
  • proof that you do not need an LMIA for the job you will do, if applicable;
  • a valid medical certificate if you need it for your job or if you are from a designated country;
  • a valid passport or other travel document.

You don’t need to provide any documents from an employer when applying for an open work permit.

If you want to work in Quebec, you may also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion.

If you are exempt from the LMIA process, you are also exempt from the CAQ requirement.

Francophones working outside Quebec

If this is your first work permit under an LMIA exemption for Francophones working outside Quebec, we strongly recommend that you:

If you’re eligible to apply at a port of entry, you should include your language test results in you work permit application.

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: