Can I apply for a work permit when I enter Canada?
You can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you
- do not need a temporary resident visa;
- have all the required documents; and
- meet the requirements for the type of work permit you are applying for.
An officer will make sure you meet all the requirements before you are allowed to enter Canada.
To apply for a work permit when you enter Canada, you must bring with you
- your job offer and a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that says the employer is allowed hire you; or
- the offer of employment number that your employer received when they submitted the offer of employment through the Employer Portal if an LMIA is not needed.
You will also need
- proof that you meet the qualifications and experience for the job you will do in Canada;
- proof that you do not need an LMIA for the job you will do, if applicable;
- a valid medical certificate if you need it for your job or if you are from a designated country; and
- a valid passport or other travel document.
You do not need to provide any documents from an employer if you are
- exempt from the LMIA process; and
- applying for an open work permit.
If you want to work in Quebec, you may also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion.
If you are exempt from the LMIA process, you are also exempt from the CAQ requirement.
Francophones working outside Quebec
If this is your first work permit under an LMIA exemption for Francophones working outside Quebec, you must:
- fill out the Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada, and
- apply online or to a Visa Application Center (VAC).
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: