How do I find out if I need a Labour Market Impact Assessment to hire a temporary worker?
There are two ways to find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA):
- you can review the list of LMIA exemption codes yourself, or
- you can contact an International Mobility Worker Unit (IMWU) for help.
You can request an opinion from an IMWU if you think a temporary worker does not need an LMIA or a work permit, as long as the temporary worker is:
- from a visa-exempt country, and
- currently outside of Canada.
Find out how to review the LMIA exemption codes or how to contact an IMWU.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Date Modified: