I want to hire a foreign worker as a live-in caregiver in Canada. What steps do I take?
Before investing time and money, learn about the conditions of the Live-in Caregiver Program. Be sure it is the best way to meet your needs.
You must first try to hire a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in the available job. When you apply to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for permission to hire a foreign worker, you will be asked to show what efforts you made in this regard.
If you have been unable to hire a Canadian or permanent resident, your next step is to apply to ESDC for what is known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which confirms that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job. If ESDC issues you a positive LMIA, you are then authorized to hire a foreign worker.
It also tells you which documents you must give your future employee so that he or she can apply for a work permit through a Canadian visa office outside Canada.
You are responsible for finding a foreign live-in caregiver. To do so, you can use advertisements, personal contacts or hiring agencies.
When you have found a foreign live-in caregiver you want to hire, you must first contact Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). If your future employee applies for a work permit and meets the program’s requirements, he or she will receive a work permit. The approval process could take several months. Check the latest information on CIC’s processing times. Your caregiver cannot work for you until CIC approves a work permit showing your name as the employer.
Please use this Web form if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check the status of your application online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- How do I hire a temporary foreign worker?
- Can I fire an incompetent foreign employee?
- What if a foreign worker becomes sick, has an accident, is hospitalized or needs home recovery?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- Date Modified: