Help Centre what do you need help with?

As a live-in caregiver, can I get hospital and medical insurance?

Under Canada's health insurance system, Canadian residents do not pay certain hospital and medical expenses. Depending where you work, you may need to wait for a period of time before you are eligible for public health insurance. Your employer must pay for you to be covered by private health insurance until you are eligible for public health insurance. Your employment contract should state that your employer has paid for private health insurance for you.

When you arrive in Canada, contact the medical care or hospital insurance office in the province or territory where you work. That office can tell you when you will be eligible for public health insurance. You can find this information in the government section of the telephone directory or on provincial and territorial government websites.

Contact your provincial or territorial ministry of health for more information.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: