Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

If a spouse or partner sponsored you under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada (SCLPC) class while you were living in Canada:

You may want to re-apply to be sponsored from outside Canada as a member of the Family class if:

If you need to re-apply from outside Canada to be sponsored as a member of the Family class, you should:

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: