Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.
If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:
- a valid passport or other travel documents,
- a valid work permit or study permit, if you need one, and
- a valid visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if you need one.
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.
If a spouse or partner sponsored you under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada (SCLPC) class while you were living in Canada:
You may want to re-apply to be sponsored from outside Canada as a member of the Family class if:
- you do not plan to live in Canada with your sponsor while we process your application
- you left and cannot return to Canada
If you need to re-apply from outside Canada to be sponsored as a member of the Family class, you should:
- withdraw your SCLPC application, and
- submit a new application
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- Why did processing times information change?
- How long will it take to process my application?
- How often are the processing times for visa offices updated?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Why can’t I see my case status online?
- I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application in the CAS system. Why?
- How are processing times calculated?
- If I apply today, do the processing times show how long it will take to process my application?
- Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
- Date Modified: