I am ready to apply for permanent residence. Can I apply for an open work permit?
As a live-in caregiver, you can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker. To apply for an open work permit, you must have:
- submitted an application for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Class;
- held valid work permits under the program for two years or more; and
- worked for at least 3,900 hours or 2 years as a live-in caregiver within no more than 4 years.
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer for the length of time specified on the work permit.
Answers others found useful
- I am working as a live-in caregiver but would like to move into my own home. Can I?
- I am already working as a live-in caregiver. Will I be able to apply for permanent residence when I complete the work requirement?
- What are the improvements to the Caregiver Program?
Form and guide
- Date Modified: