How can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?
Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:
- a statutory declaration of a common-law union,
- statements for shared bank accounts,
- shared credit cards,
- proof of shared ownership of residential property,
- shared residential leases,
- shared rental receipts,
- bills for shared utilities accounts, such as
- gas or
- proof of shared management of household expenses,
- evidence of shared purchases (especially of household items),
- mail addressed to either or both of you at the same address,
- important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as
- identification documents,
- driver’s licences and
- insurance policies and
- any other documents that show you have been living together.
You do not need to include all these items to prove your relationship is real. Citizenship and Immigration Canada may consider other proof as well
Photos, telephone bills and letters will not be returned. Do not send videos or CD-ROMs. Documents such as marriage certificates and passports will be returned. However, you should send certified photocopies, not originals.
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- How will I know whether my parents and grandparents (PGP) application was accepted and placed in the inventory?
- Which family members may come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How do I sponsor my spouse, partner or dependent child to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- How old must my spouse or common-law partner be for me to sponsor them to immigrate to Canada?
- Does CIC recognize marriages conducted by proxy, telephone, internet and fax?
- How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: