Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?
Time spent outside Canada does not count towards the physical presence requirement except in certain circumstances.
You can count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for citizenship if you:
- Were a permanent resident employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration, or public service of a province or territory; or
- Resided outside Canada with your:
- Canadian spouse or common-law partner, or
- permanent resident spouse, common-law partner, or parent
Employment as a locally engaged person is not included.
Only time after becoming a permanent resident counts towards the physical presence requirement.
Residence with a common-law partner can be calculated from the time the common-law relationship began.
Use the online physical presence calculator. Complete and submit the CIT 0177 Residence Outside Canada form when you apply. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will decide whether the time you lived outside Canada is eligible to be counted.
Please use this Web form if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check the status of your application online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Date Modified: