How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
Anyone who plans to visit Canada must apply from outside of Canada before they travel.
What your friend or family member needs depends on:
- the type of travel document they will travel with;
- the country that issued their travel document;
- their nationality; and
- how they will travel to Canada.
Before applying, find out what document(s) they need.
If they need a visitor visa, you may provide your family member or friend with a letter of invitation in support of their visa application. A letter of invitation can help, but it does not guarantee the person will get a visa.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a visa to visit Canada?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?
- I am visiting the U.S. I want to come to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
- Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?
A Step-by-step look at biometrics
Form and guide
- Date Modified: