How can I extend my stay as a student?
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires.
For the steps to apply, see Extending your Stay as a student.
Temporary residents currently in Canada with a valid study or work permit must submit their application for a new temporary resident visa to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.
If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. That status lasts until CIC decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements.
If you applied for another study permit:
- You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original study permit. For example, you cannot quit school to start working. You can keep studying until CIC decides on your application.
If you applied for a different kind of permit:
- You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original study permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
If you have applied to extend your study permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:
- You may be admitted to Canada as a temporary resident visitor, if CIC has not yet decided to extend your study permit. If so, you cannot study until you receive your new permit. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
- You may be admitted to Canada as a student, if the officer at the port of entry can confirm that CIC extended your study permit while you were away.
- You may be asked to apply for a new study permit at the port of entry.
Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.
See also How can I extend my stay as visitor? and How can I extend my stay as a worker?
Answers others found useful
- Who can make a request under the Access to Information Act?
- What information is available under the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act?
- Who can make a request under the Privacy Act?
- How and where do I submit an Access to Information or Privacy request?
- What is the fee for an Access request?
Form and guide
- Date Modified: