Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
In general, foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions. Find out more about who needs a study permit.
In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Ensure that you have a letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution in Canada that has accepted you before you begin the application process.
You can apply for the study permit at the Canadian visa office for your country, at a Visa Application Centre or online. Find out more about how to apply.
Answers others found useful
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I have applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date Modified: