Help Centre what do you need help with?

I came to Canada as a visitor. Now, I want to study. Can I?

To study in Canada, you must have legal status. You also need to find out if you need a study permit.

If you don’t need a study permit: you can enrol in your studies, but remember that you must leave Canada at the end of the authorized period or apply to extend your stay as visitor.

If you need a study permit: you need to comply with the conditions and requirements of the International Student Program.

How to get a study permit

If you belong to one of the following groups, you need to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a student:

Remember that you can’t stay in Canada beyond the expiry date of your passport. If you renewed your passport since entering Canada, you have to submit photocopies of both your new passport and the stamp placed in your old passport.

All other applicants

If you don’t belong to one of the groups above, you must submit a study permit application. To apply, you must:

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: