Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?
Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:
- one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
- one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
- neither parent is physically in Canada.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I have applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
- How does the end of the Ontario college strike affect my immigration status?
- Date Modified: