As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
Yes. However, a study permit isn’t a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to Canada. Along with your permit, you need either:
- a temporary resident visa or
- an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Having an eTA or a visa, along with your study permit, doesn’t guarantee that we will let you back into Canada. You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we will let you re-enter.
Read more about travelling while you are a student.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I have applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
- Date Modified: