I am a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a permanent resident card?
No, we will mail your permanent resident (PR) card to you when you arrive in Canada.
If you did not provide your Canadian mailing address when you became a permanent resident, use our online address notification tool to send it to us. You must provide your address within 180 days of the day you become a permanent resident. If you do not send it within 180 days, we will cancel the PR card and you will have to apply for another one and pay the processing fees.
Check current processing times to see how long you will have to wait to get your new card. Please tell us if you did not get your PR card within the processing times.
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PRcard?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: