Can the government-funded language program I took be used as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?
Yes. You may submit a certificate from a federally-funded Language Instruction for Newcomers Course (LINC) or Cours de langue pour les immigrants au Canada (CLIC) program with your citizenship application if you have reached CLB/NCLC 4 in speaking and listening. If you took LINC/CLIC classes between January 1, 2008 and October 31, 2012, you can indicate on the citizenship application form that you have attended a Language Instruction for Newcomers Course and reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)/Niveau de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening.
We will also accept results from some provincially-funded language training programs. If you attended language training delivered by British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec’s Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (in French only) or Quebec’s Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche (in French only), you can provide a certificate or report card that shows that you have completed language training at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)/Niveau de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) level 4 or higher or equivalent.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
Forms and Guides
- Date modified: