Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I replace my citizenship certificate if there is a spelling or other mistake on it?

Yes. We will replace your citizenship certificate if:

  1. we made a mistake in processing it, and
  2. it has been 90 days or less since you received your citizenship certificate

You must resubmit an application for a citizenship certificate and pay the processing fee if it has been more than 90 days since:

You must also follow this process to replace your citizenship certificate for another reason.

We have stopped issuing citizenship cards

As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate replaced the plastic wallet sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them. If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you a citizenship certificate.

How to request a replacement if there is a mistake on your certificate

If it has been 90 days or less since you received your citizenship certificate, send us:

We will replace your certificate free of charge.

Where to mail your request

If you live in Canada or the United States, mail your request to:

If you live outside Canada and the United States, send your request to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your region.

If your request is not approved

If your request for a replacement certificate is not approved (e.g., if it was determined that a processing error was not made), we will return your documents to you. We will also explain why we did not approve your request.

Answers others found useful


Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: