Help Centre what do you need help with?

What is the difference between the Change of Address and the Address Notification online services?

Address Notification

Use the Address Notification service if you are an immigrant who has just arrived in Canada as a permanent resident. Doing so will ensure you automatically get your permanent resident card.

Note: If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) does not get your address within 180 days of the date you entered Canada, you will have to re-apply for a permanent resident card and pay the fee.

Change of Address

All other clients should use the Change of Address service to notify us of their new home or mailing address. For more information, see “Who can use the Change of Address online service?”

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: