Help Centre what do you need help with?

I cover my head or face for religious or cultural reasons. What will happen when I go to have my photo taken for biometrics?

You need to give your biometrics

You now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence if you are from Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Find out who needs to give biometrics.

When you have your photograph taken, your whole face must be clearly visible.

You may request to have your photo taken by an operator of the same gender and you may ask for a privacy curtain.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: