Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do I need to give my biometrics to visit Canada if I’m in the United States and I’ve already given my biometrics when I entered the U.S.?

We plan to expand our fingerprint and photo requirements

Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photos (biometrics) when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.

Find out if these changes may apply to you.

Yes. If you’re a foreign national (not a U.S. national) visiting or living in the United States, you’ll still need to give your biometrics to Canada. You only need to give your biometrics once you get the letter from us that asks you for it.

In the United States, you can give your biometrics at any of the 135 Application Support Centers.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: