Help Centre what do you need help with?

If I am in Canada, do I have to give my biometrics immediately?

We plan to expand our fingerprint and photo requirements

Starting July 31, 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photos (biometrics) when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.

Find out if these changes may apply to you.

If you’re in Canada and you apply for a visitor visa, study permit, work permit or permanent resident visa or status, you don’t have to give your biometrics until we open collection centres in Canada in 2019.

When the new collection centres are open in Canada, you’ll have to give biometrics for your next application, including a renewal or an extension.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: