Who will review my application for a start-up visa?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) reviews every application for immigration to Canada.
The viability of your business proposal will be assessed by the designated organization to which you apply.
Your application is also subject to an independent peer review process designed to protect against fraud and ensure that applicants are genuine. The review is conducted by an independent panel established by CIC's relevant industry association partner for the sector:
- Canada's Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- National Angel Capital Organization
- Canadian Association of Business Incubation
All designated organizations hold membership with at least one of these partnering associations.
The independent review examines the level of due diligence that was performed by the designated organization and:
- ensures that your company has been or will be incorporated in Canada
- ensures that business ownership has been verified and satisfies SUV program requirements
- ensures that the designated organization has considered the viability of the proposed business model, assessed the business venture's management team and verified the ownership of the intellectual property
- makes sure the focus of the business is on a high-growth potential product and/or service
- validates, for business incubator applicants, your acceptance into an incubator program
Answers others found useful
- Who is a federal skilled worker?
- What are the language requirements for applicants?
- Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?
- If I have a year of work experience in more than one eligible federal skilled worker job, can I apply more than once?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Federal Skilled Worker Program application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- I applied as a federal skilled worker before, but my application was returned because the cap for my occupation was full. Can I re-apply under the new cap?
- If I re-apply as a federal skilled worker under the new cap, can I re-use my Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Federal Skilled Trades Program application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- If I applied under the previous Federal Skilled Trades Program caps, will you still process my application, or should I re-apply under the new caps?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Canadian Experience Class application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- If I applied under the previous Canadian Experience Class caps, will you still process my application, or should I re-apply under the new caps?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: