How do I apply as a health-care provider for the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway?
Starting November 30, 2014, caregivers in a variety of health-care occupations will have an additional option for applying for permanent residence.
To qualify, you must meet these requirements when you apply for permanent residence application:
- two years of full-time work experience in Canada, authorized with a work permit, providing in-home care or care in a health facility to the elderly or persons with disabilities or chronic disease as, for example, a registered nurse, a registered psychiatric nurse, a licensed practical nurse, a nurse aide, a patient service associate or a home support worker;
- licensed to practice in Canada, if applicable;
- a minimum language requirement of “intermediate” by meeting Canadian Language Benchmark 7 in a designated third-party language test, if applying as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse;
- a minimum language requirement of “initial intermediate” by meeting Canadian Language Benchmark 5 in a designated third-party language test, if applying in any other qualifying occupation; and
- a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year, or an equivalent foreign credential supported by an Educational Credential Assessment.
When you apply for permanent residence for this pathway, you will need to show that you performed the duties described in one of the following National Occupational Classifications for two years in Canada:
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012)
- Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233)
- Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413)
- Home support workers and related occupations, but not Housekeepers and related occupations (NOC 4412)
Answers others found useful
- I am working as a live-in caregiver but would like to move into my own home. Can I?
- I am already working as a live-in caregiver. Will I be able to apply for permanent residence when I complete the work requirement?
- What are the improvements to the Caregiver Program?
- Date Modified: