Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am hiring a caregiver with a regular work permit and not a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit. Do I have to pay for the caregiver’s transportation costs to get to the work location?

Employers of caregivers in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) C occupation, such as a home child care provider, a nurse aide, an orderly, a patient service associate or a home support worker, must always pay the transportation costs (e.g. plane, train, boat, car, bus) of the caregiver to the work location in Canada.

You are not expected to pay the caregiver’s transportation costs if you are hiring a caregiver in a NOC A occupation, such as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse, or in a NOC B occupation, such as a licensed practical nurse.

See the caregiver page of Employment and Social Development Canada’s website for more information.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: