Applying - General
Determining your eligibility
Completing an application form
- How do I fill out an immigration application?
- What is my client ID?
- What is a UCI?
- Where can I find my client ID/UCI?
- I forgot my client ID/UCI. How can I get it?
- When will I get my client ID/UCI?
- What do you mean by surname?
- I don’t know what dates to put in the history section on my immigration form. What do I do?
- I don’t have enough space on the form to explain everything. What should I do?
- What if some of the questions on the application form don’t apply to me?
- What language should my supporting documents be in?
- If I am not using a representative, do I need to send a blank Use of a Representative form?
- What should I do if I want my spouse, family member or friend to check on my application for me?
- How can I get my immigration application processed faster?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- If my immigration application is refused, do I have to wait before I apply again?
- Can my friend or family member handle my immigration or citizenship application for me?
- How can I get help with my application?
See also: Downloading files
Paying application fees
- How can I pay my application fees?
- How do I pay online?
- How do I reset my password for the online payment system?
- Can I pay my fees at a bank in Canada?
- When will banks stop accepting the payment receipt form (IMM 5401)?
- Is my payment receipt form (IMM 5401) still valid?
- How can I get a copy of my receipt after paying my fees?
- I cannot access the online payment system to get a copy of my receipt. What can I do?
- Why is my online payment being refused?
- My online payment was incomplete but it is appearing on my account statement. How do I get a refund?
- How to complete the Payer Information section on the e-payment receipt?
- Do you accept prepaid credit cards, Western Union, or MoneyGram to pay my fees?
See also: Getting a fee refund
Submitting an application
- How do I submit my application?
- Why can’t I submit my application online?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- I was told that my permanent resident card was sent to me but I did not get it yet. What should I do?
- I legally changed my name. How do I update my PR card?
- How can I get help with my application?
- If I need the documents I mailed in, how will you return them to me if IRCC isn’t using Canada Post mail services?
- I can’t provide a document listed on the checklist. What should I do?
- How can I find a doctor to do my immigration medical exam?
- Why do I need a medical examination?
- How long will my application take if I need a medical exam?
- I had additional medical exam requirements. How long will it take before the results are available?
- How can I check on the status of my medical exam results?
- Can I have a medical exam done in advance to speed up my application?
- I’m applying with the old spousal application package. What do I do for my medical exam?
- I’m pregnant. Can I wait until after I give birth to take the medical exam?
- I have applied for permanent residence. My spouse or partner and children are not coming with me. Do they need to get a medical exam?
- I want to work in a job that requires a medical exam, but I already have my work permit. What do I do?
- When do I need to provide a police certificate to IRCC?
- What must I do if I can't get a police certificate for my immigration application?
- Do I need to provide a police certificate for my time in Canada?
- Are there any countries where I should get police certificates before applying for immigration?
- My police certificate is not in English or French. Do I need to send a translation?
- What is an affidavit for a translation?
- Why do I need to get a police certificate?
- How do I give my fingerprints and get an RCMP Criminal Records Check from outside Canada?
Changing your address
- How can I change my address or contact information?
- What is the difference between the Change of Address and the Address Notification online services?
- Who can use the Change of Address and the Address Notification online services?
- Who cannot use the Change of Address online service?
- Can I email my new address to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)?
- How long does it take for a new or updated address to appear online?
- Why does it take 5 business days for address changes to appear online?
- I am in Canada temporarily, as a worker, visitor or student. Why can’t I change my address online?
- When should I notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that I am moving?
- How can I check that my address has been updated successfully?
- I have changed my address online but the changes are still not visible. What should I do?
- How can I change the address of other people who were included in my application?
- Do I have to enter a change of address for each dependant?
- Do I have to enter an address notification for each dependant?
- Which applicants can access the Change of Address or the Address Notification online service?
- I live outside Canada. Can I use the Change of Address or the Address Notification online services to update my mailing or home address?
- I changed my address in CAS. Do I need to change it in Change of Address or Address Notification, too?
- If I remove my application status from the Internet on CAS, can I still use Change of Address or Address Notification?
- I cannot access Change of Address or Address Notification. What should I do?
Getting a fee refund
- My application was refused. Can I get a refund?
- If I withdraw my application, will I get a refund?
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- I submitted an application but want to change programs. Can I apply the fees I already paid to my new application?
- I paid my fees online but decided not to submit an application. Can I get a refund?
- I didn’t pay enough for my application. What can I do?
- I paid too much for my application. Can I get a refund?
- I paid online for the wrong fee but the amount is correct. What should I do?
- How do I ask for a refund if I paid my fees online or at a bank in Canada?
- How do I withdraw my permanent resident card application?
- Date Modified: