Determining your eligibility
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- What is dual citizenship?
- Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?
- I am Canadian but my children were born outside Canada. Are they Canadian?
- Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?
Language requirements when applying for citizenship
- What does “adequate knowledge” of English or French mean when applying for citizenship?
- How do you measure how well I can speak English or French when applying for citizenship?
- What language level do I need when I apply for citizenship?
- What documents can I use to prove that I meet the citizenship language requirement?
- What third-party language tests will you accept as proof I have adequate knowledge of English or French when I apply for citizenship?
- I graduated from an English-or French-language high school/college/university. What can I use to show that I can communicate in one of the official languages when I apply for citizenship?
- Can the government-funded language program I took be used as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?
- Can I provide my LINC/CLIC placement test as a proof that I meet the citizenship language requirement?
- I’ve lost my certificate or transcript showing I meet the citizenship language requirement. What can I do?
- Can I submit the results from a third-party language test that I took when I first applied to immigrate to Canada as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?
- Do you accept certificates from private language schools as proof I meet the citizenship language requirement?
Applying for citizenship
- What is a non-routine application?
- Can I get my citizenship application processed urgently?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- I hired a representative before June 11, 2015 and my citizenship application is still in process. Can they continue to act as my representative?
- Who can represent me on my citizenship application?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What are the requirements for the photos I need to include with my application?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What if I cannot attend my appointment with IRCC? Can I reschedule it?
- Where can I find out the status of my citizenship application and the processing time?
- How do I withdraw my application for citizenship services?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- Do I need to ask the Canada Border Services Agency for a history of entries when applying for citizenship?
- What happens if I check “Yes” on Question 9D (“History of Entries”) on the application for citizenship?
Taking the citizenship test
- Who has to take the citizenship test?
- Is the citizenship test difficult?
- Does the study guide have sample questions to help me prepare for the citizenship test?
- After I apply for citizenship, how long will it be before I write the citizenship test?
- Can I reschedule my citizenship test if I cannot attend it?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- When do I know if I passed the citizenship test?
- What happens if I fail the written citizenship test?
- What if I cannot attend my hearing with a citizenship officer or a citizenship judge? Can I reschedule it?
- What happens after the hearing with a citizenship officer to test my knowledge of Canada?
Attending the citizenship ceremony
Getting or replacing a citizenship certificate
- I’ve lost my citizenship card/certificate. How do I replace it?
- What documents should I send with my application for a citizenship certificate (also known as proof of citizenship)?
- Can I replace my citizenship certificate if there is a spelling or other mistake on it?
- How do I get a citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship) for someone under 18 years old?
- I legally changed my name. How do I change the name on my citizenship certificate/card?
- Date Modified: