The Federal Internship for Newcomers (FIN) Program allows you to fill skilled labour shortages by hiring newcomers if you’re:
- an employer in:
- a federal government department or agency
- a government organization
- the private sector
- located in or around:
- St. John’s, NL
You can hire candidates in fields such as:
- project management
- policy and research
- computer science
These skilled and experienced newcomers can enhance your workplace by:
- increasing productivity and creativity
- bringing new perspectives
- helping to expand local and global networks
All qualified candidates have:
- the necessary language skills and are ready to work
- been assessed by Immigrant-Serving Organizations (ISOs)
- taken job-readiness training (if needed)
- been interviewed and evaluated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Once interns begin their placement, we:
- match them with mentors
- offer training sessions to help them adapt to working in Canada
You can support your interns by allowing them to attend these professional development sessions whenever possible.
Most internships start in September, and you can request an intern throughout the year.
Private sector employers
We partner with select private sector employers. You can hire FIN candidates as long as you:
- have hiring practices and a workplace committed to:
- employment equity
- provide paid employment opportunities that correspond with the skills and experience of qualified FIN candidates
- hire interns directly to work within the organization
How to hire
- Identify and define positions within your organization that you can fill with FIN candidates.
- For federal partners: you’ll hire them as casual employees.
- Complete the application form.
- You can send questions by email to CIC.FINP-PFSNA.CIC@cic.gc.ca.
- We won’t answer questions that aren’t about the FIN program.
- Review résumés of qualified candidates provided to you.
- Conduct interviews and check references.
- Prepare a letter of offer for the selected candidate(s).
- For federal partners: Begin the security clearance process with human resources in your department.
- Pay the salary.
As an employer of FIN Program participants, our FIN Program team offers you:
- free cross-cultural training support from professional trainers
- a Resource Guide for Hiring Managers with information on:
- hiring through the FIN Program
- steps to follow throughout the duration of the internship
- support and resources available to you
Employers' RoadmapThis roadmap is a guide for employers in small to medium-sized enterprises interested in hiring foreign workers.
- Date Modified: