Hire an internationally trained worker

New measures have been introduced for foreign workers in Canada and Canadian employers who are hiring them.

Read about these changes and how they might affect you.

Employers Fact Sheets

If you are an employer, there are several programs you can use to:

  • hire a foreign worker,
  • offer a full-time job to support a skilled worker’s immigration to Canada, or
  • offer a paid internship to a permanent resident or a new Canadian citizen.

Foreign workers

Through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program, you can hire foreign nationals to work temporarily. You can hire foreign workers who are abroad or who are already in Canada.

Live-in caregivers

Find out how to hire a live-in caregiver.

International students

You can hire students while they are studying or after they graduate.

Permanent workers

You can hire workers who will stay in Canada permanently. Find out how to hire permanent workers.


You can fill skilled labour shortages by hiring permanent residents or new Canadian citizens as interns through the Federal Internship for Newcomers Program.

Francophone workers

Consider hiring a Francophone worker for a job outside Quebec. You could get hands-on support to find the candidate you need to fill a vacant position.

Employers' Roadmap

This roadmap is a guide for employers in small to medium-sized enterprises interested in hiring foreign workers.
Date Modified: