Follow these steps to apply:
1. Get the application package
The application package includes a guide and all the forms you need to fill out to apply to the program. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
- Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online. Click the “Validate” button on the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be outlined in red.
- Print the validated application form, including the barcode page(s). (This page will come up after you validate the form).
- Sign and date the form where asked.
- Include all the pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application.
- Print the other forms, and sign and date where asked.
- Each of your answers must be complete and true.
- You must fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist (PDF, 268.19 KB) to make sure you do not miss anything.
Answer all of the questions carefully, completely and truthfully. There are serious consequences for applicants who misrepresent themselves or withhold relevant information on their application.
You must include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results and fees that are asked for. If any are missing, your application is not complete. We will send it back to you without processing it.
2. Pay your application fees
You will have to pay:
a) The processing fee for you and your family members who will come to Canada with you
When you apply, you need to include everyone who will come to Canada with you. This information will affect your fees. Check the fee list to see how much it will be.
We will not refund the processing fee. Make sure you are eligible before you apply.
b) The Right of Permanent Residence Fee
You must pay this fee if we approve your application. This fee covers you and your family members, if any are coming with you. You must pay it before we issue your permanent resident visa.
We will refund this fee if:
- you cancel your application,
- your application is not approved, or
- you decide not to come to Canada.
c) Other fees
You must also pay fees to third parties for:
- your medical exam,
- a police certificate,
- your language testing, and
- services at a Visa Application Centre, if you use one.
You must pay your processing and Right of Permanent Residence fees in Canadian dollars.
Fill out the Fee Payment Form (IMM 5620) and include it with your application. CIC currently does not accept online payments for permanent residence applications under the Self-Employed Class.
The instruction guide has more detailed information on fees.
3. Submit your application
Make sure you:
- answer all questions,
- sign your application and all forms,
- include your processing fee, and
- include all the supporting documents.
If you forget something, your application will be sent back to you. You will have to fix any errors and resubmit it. Use the Document Checklist to make sure you do not forget anything.
You should also:
- validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online by clicking on the “Validate” button on the form,
- print the barcode page(s), and
- include all pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s) with your application.
This will help make sure your application is complete and help you avoid delays.
Mail your application and fee payment form to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada:
Centralized Intake Office – Self employed Class
P.O. Box 7200
Sydney, NS B1P 0E9
Do not send your application to any other processing centre or visa office.
Where to send your applicationFind out where you should send your application
- Date Modified: