To be eligible as a self-employed person, you must:
- have relevant experience, and intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada,
- meet the selection criteria for self-employed people, and
- meet medical, security and other conditions.
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level,
- been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics, or
- experience in managing a farm.
Consult definitions of terms used for self-employed applicants for more information.
We will assess you on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities, and
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
Self-employed person means a foreign national who:
- has relevant experience,
- intends and is able to be self-employed in Canada, and
- can contribute to Canada’s economy in one of the required areas.
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting five years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application. The experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities, or
- two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period of experience described in A above, and a one-year period of experience described in B above.
- for athletics:
- two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in athletics, or
- two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period of experience described in 1 above, and a one-year period of experience described in 2 above, and
- for buying and managing a farm, two one-year periods of experience managing a farm.
Specified economic activities for a self-employed person, means:
- cultural activities,
- athletics, or
- buying and managing a farm.
Activities for a self-employed person selected by a province are decided by the laws of the province.
The province of Quebec runs its own business immigration program. If you want to live in Quebec, visit the website of the Quebec immigration department.
Find out if you are eligibleCome to Canada
- Date Modified: