Designated organizations are business groups that have been approved to invest in or support possible start-ups.
Organizations choose which business proposals to review. If one decides to review yours, it will assess the potential of your proposal and whether or not it will succeed. Each organization has its own intake process for proposals and criteria used to assess them.
If an organization chooses to support your business idea, it will give you a Letter of Support.
To apply for the Start-up Visa Program, your business idea or venture must get the support of one of the designated organizations listed below.
Designated venture capital funds
You must get one or more of these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $200,000:
- BDC Venture Capital
- Blackberry Partners Fund II LP (doing business as Relay Ventures Fund II)
- Celtic House Venture Partners
- Celtic House Venture Partners Fund III LP
- Celtic House Venture Partners Fund IV LP
- DRI Capital Inc.
- Extreme Venture Partners LLP
- Golden Opportunities Fund Inc.
- iNovia Capital Inc.
- Lumira Capital
- New Brunswick Innovation Foundation Inc.
- OMERS Ventures Management Inc.
- Pangaea Ventures Fund III, LP
- PRIVEQ Capital Funds
- PRIVEQ III Limited Partnership
- PRIVEQ IV Limited Partnership
- Real Ventures
- Rho Canada Ventures
- Summerhill Venture Partners Management Inc.
- Tandem Expansion Management Inc.
- Top Renergy Inc.
- Vanedge Capital Limited Partnership
- Version One Ventures
- Wellington Financial LP
- Westcap Mgt. Ltd.
- Canadian Accelerator Fund Ltd.
- Yaletown Venture Partners Inc.
Designated angel investor groups
You must get one or more investors connected to these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $75,000:
Designated business incubators
You must be accepted into one of these programs:
- Alacrity Foundation
- Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
- Bioenterprise Corporation
- Canada Accelerator Co (d/b/a HIGHLINE)
- The DMZ at Ryerson University
- Empowered Startups Ltd.
- Extreme Innovations
- Genesis Centre
- INcubes Inc.
- Innovate Calgary
- Interactive Niagara Media Cluster o/a Innovate Niagara
- Invest Ottawa
- Istuary Idea Labs
- Knowledge Park o/a Planet Hatch
- Launch Academy
- LaunchPad PEI Inc.
- NEXT Canada
- Real Investment Fund III L.P. o/a FounderFuel
- Ryerson Futures Inc.
- Spark Centre
- Spring Activator
- Toronto Business Development Centre
- Waterloo Accelerator Centre
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute
Top questions about Start-up Visa
- What do I need to do to get support from an investor organization?
- How do I show that I have the support of Canadian investors?
- What is the minimum investment that I would need to apply for a start-up visa?
- Will I have to invest my own money if I want to apply for a start-up visa?
- What happens if I receive investment support from multiple designated venture capital funds or angel investor organizations?
- Date Modified: