Apply under the Canadian Experience Class

Note: As of May 1, 2014, there is an overall cap of 8,000 for new Canadian Experience Class applications. There are also sub-caps of 200 for each National Occupational Classification B applications. These are the last applications we will accept under the current system before Express Entry launches in January 2015.

You cannot use work experience in the following occupations to qualify for the CEC:

  • Cooks (NOC 6322)
  • Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)

In addition, we are not accepting online payments for permanent residence applications under the Canadian Experience Class at this time.

Follow these steps to apply under the Canadian Experience Class:

1. Get application package

The application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.

  • Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
    • Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online. Click the ‘Validate’ button on the form and it will outline in red any fields you still need to fill out.
    • Print the barcode page (this page will come up after you validate the form).
    • Sign where shown.
    • Include the barcode page with your application.
    • Print the other forms and sign where shown.
  • Each of your answers must be complete and true.
  • You must fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist (PDF, 231 KB) to make sure you do not miss anything.

You must also take a language test and include the results with your application.

Note: You must include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results, and fees that are asked for. If any are missing, your application is not complete. We will send it back to you without processing it.

2. Pay application fees

You will have to pay:

  1. The processing fee for you and your family members.

    When you apply, you need to include everyone who will come to Canada with you. This affects your fees. Check the fee list to see how much it will be.

    An officer will assess your application to see if you meet the basic eligibility standards. If you are found ineligible to apply, we will inform you and refund your processing fee.

    If you are eligible, we will tell you that we have sent your application to one of our offices for processing. They will assess the rest of your application. Once they have started this process, we can not give you a refund on your fee.

  2. The Right of Permanent Residence fee

    You will need to pay this fee if we approve your application. It covers you and your partner or dependants, if they are coming with you. You must pay it before we issue your permanent resident visa.

    We will refund this fee if you cancel your application or if you do not use your visa.

  3. Other fees

    You will also have to pay fees to third parties for:

    • your medical examination
    • a police certificate, if you need one, and
    • your language test.

You must pay your fees in Canadian dollars.

Fill out the Fee Payment Form (IMM 5620) (PDF, 581 KB) and include it with your application. We currently do not accept online payments for permanent residence applications under the Canadian Experience Class.

The instruction guide has more detailed information on fees.

3. Submit your application

Make sure you:

  • fill out and sign your application and all forms
  • include your processing fee, and
  • include all the supporting documents.

If not, we will send your application back to you. You will have to fix any errors and resend it. Use the document checklist to make sure you did not forget anything.

You should:

  • validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online
  • print the barcode page, and
  • include the barcode page with your application.

This will help make sure your application is complete and help you avoid delays.

Mail your application and fee to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia (Canada).

Do not send your application to the visa office that serves your home country.

Where to send your application

Date Modified: