Follow these steps to apply.
1. Get a provincial nomination certificate
Visit the website for the province or territory where you want to live to find out how to get a nomination certificate. You can apply to one of their PNP streams, including their Express Entry PNP stream.
Once a province assesses your application, they can nominate you under the stream you applied to.
The nomination certificate may be an approval letter or other document, depending on where you apply. You must submit a copy of it with your permanent residence application to CIC (if you apply through the regular application process, as below).
2. Find out how to apply
Your certificate will show which stream you were nominated under. This will tell you if you should apply under Express Entry or the regular application process.
- Applying through Express Entry – If you were nominated under an Express Entry stream, your first step to apply is the Come to Canada tool, if you are not already in the Express Entry pool.
- Applying through the regular application process – if you were nominated under a regular PNP stream, you should apply using the regular application process.
If you apply through Express Entry, find out how it works.
If you apply through the regular process, follow the steps below.
3. Get the CIC application package (if you are not applying through Express Entry)
The CIC application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out after a province or territory has nominated you. The guide will help you fill out the forms properly.
- Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
- Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada[IMM 0008] online. Click the “validate” button on the top or bottom of the form. If there are any fields you still need to fill out, they will be marked in red.
- Print the validated application form, including the barcode page(s). (This page will come up after you validate the form.)
- Sign and date the form where asked.
- Include all the pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application.
- Print the other forms, and sign and date them where asked.
- Each of your answers must be complete and true.
- You must fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist to make sure you do not miss anything.
4. Pay your application fees
You will have to pay:
1. The processing fee for you and the family members who will come to Canada with you.
Each person must pay a separate fee. Check the fee list to see how much it will be.
An officer will assess your application to see if you are eligible to apply. If you are not eligible to apply, we will tell you and refund your processing fee.
If you are eligible, we will tell you that we have sent your application to one of our offices for processing. That office will assess the rest of your application. Once it has started this process, we cannot refund your fee.
2. The Right of Permanent Residence fee
You must pay this fee if we approve your application. This fee covers you and your partner or dependants, if any are coming with you. You must pay it before you can become a permanent resident.
We will refund this fee if:
- you cancel your application,
- we do not approve your application or
- you decide not to come to Canada.
3. Other fees
You must also pay fees to third parties for:
- a medical exam,
- a police certificate and
- language testing, if you need it.
You must pay your processing fees (a) in Canadian dollars. The easiest way to do so is online.
To pay online, you must:
- have a PDF reader,
- have a printer,
- have a valid email address,
- have a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card, and
- print the “receipt of payment” page when you are done and include it with your application.
If you cannot or do not want to pay online, you must:
Fill out the Fee Payment Form (IMM 5620) (PDF, 631 KB) in the application package and include it with your application.
See the application guide for more detailed information on fees.
5. Submit your application
Make sure you:
- answer all questions,
- sign your application and all forms,
- include your processing fee and
- include all the supporting documents.
If you do not do so, we will send your application back to you. You will have to fix any errors and then resend it. Use the Document Checklist (PDF, 747 KB) to make sure you do not miss any steps.
You should also:
- validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online by clicking on the “validate” button at the top or bottom of the form,
- print the barcode page(s) and
- include all pages of the application form, including the barcode page(s), with your application.
This will help make sure your application is complete and help avoid processing delays.
You must include a copy of the confirmation of nomination that the province or territory sent you.
Mail your application and your fee payment form or receipt for paying online to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia (Canada):
Centralized Intake Office – PNP
PO BOX 1450x
Sydney, NS B1P 6K5
Do not send your application to the visa office that serves your home country.
Also in this topic
Where to send your applicationFind out where you should send your application
- Date Modified: