Apply – Federal skilled workers

Note: As of May 1, 2014, there is an overall cap of 25,500 for new federal skilled worker applications. This includes a cap of 500 applications from PhD students. There are also sub-caps of 1,000 for each of the 50 eligible occupations. The caps do not affect people with a valid job offer. These are the last applications we will accept under the current system before Express Entry launches in January 2015.

Sending more than one application does not increase your chances of being accepted for permanent residence. All eligible applications received before January 1st will be considered for processing based on current guidelines. Fees will be charged for each one.

Follow these steps to apply as a federal skilled worker (FSW):

1. Get the application package

The application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.

  • Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
    • Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online. Click the ‘Validate’ button on the form and it will outline in red any fields you still need to fill out.
    • Print the barcode page (this page will come up after you validate the form).
    • Sign where shown.
    • Include the barcode page with your application.
    • Print the other forms and sign where shown.
  • Each of your answers must be complete and true.
  • You must fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist to make sure you do not miss anything.

Note: You must include all:

  • forms,
  • information,
  • documents,
  • signatures, and
  • fees, plus your
    • proof of work experience,
    • language test results, and
    • either a Canadian educational credential or a foreign credential and an assessment of your foreign education from an approved agency.

If any are missing, your application is not complete. We will send it back to you without processing it.

2. Pay application fees

You will have to pay:

  1. The processing fee for you and your family members

    When you apply, you need to include everyone who will come to Canada with you. This affects your fees. Check the fee list to see how much it will be.

    If we do not find you eligible to apply, we will contact you and refund your processing fee.

  2. The Right of Permanent Residence fee

    You will need to pay this fee if we approve your application. It covers you and your partner and/or dependants, if any are coming with you. You must pay it before we will issue your permanent resident visa.

    We will refund this fee if you cancel your application or if you do not use your visa.

  3. Other fees

    You will also have to pay fees to third parties for:

    • your medical exam,
    • a police certificate, if you need one,
    • an educational credential assessment (ECA),
    • language testing, and
    • services at a Visa Application Centre, if you use one.

Fill out the Fee Payment Form (IMM 5620) and include it with your application. We currently do not accept online payments for skilled workers.

The guide has more detailed information on fees.

3. Submit your completed application

Make sure you:

  • have filled out and signed your application and all forms,
  • include your processing fee, and
  • include all the supporting documents.

If not, we will send your application back to you. You will have to fix any errors and resend it. Use the Document Checklist to make sure you do not forget anything.

You should:

  • validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online (click the ‘Validate’ button on the form and it will outline in red any missing fields),
  • print the barcode page, and
  • include the barcode page with your application.

This will help make sure your application is complete and avoid delays.

Mail your application and fee to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia (Canada)

Do not send your application to the visa office that serves your home country.

There are many ways to immigrate to Canada. If you do not meet the criteria to apply under the FSWP you may qualify under another category.

Application form

Date Modified: