Prepare for your arrival

Note: If you got an Educational Credential Assessment, it does not guarantee you a job in your field or that you will be able to get a licensed in Canada. If you plan to work in an occupation that is regulated in Canada, you should contact the regulatory authority in the province where you plan to live. They can give you important information about getting your license, including any steps you can take before you leave your home country.

When you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

The officer will ask to see your passport and other travel documents. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

When you arrive, you must have:

  • Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • Your valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended; therefore, you should make sure to use it before it expires.
  • Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information, or if you do not convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada.

If there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also confirm your Canadian mailing address. Your permanent resident card will be mailed to you at this address.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify CIC using this online tool.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with more than C$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you do not, you could be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

  • cash,
  • securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills), or
  • bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders.

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, see the CBSA website to find out what you can and cannot bring into the country.

Immigrant services in your area

Our interactive map will help you to search for immigrant services in your area.
Date Modified: