As of May 4, 2013, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will only consider federal skilled worker (FSW) applications from people who have:
- at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation,
- within the last 10 years,
- at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), and who are:
1. in one of the 24 eligible occupations,
and whose application is received under the occupation’s sub-cap and overall FSW cap, or
2. with a valid offer of arranged employment, or
3. who are applying under the PhD stream (see below) until the PhD cap of 1,000 applications is reached.
All applicants must also:
- meet the minimum language threshold (and submit approved language test results), and
- submit a Canadian educational credential or foreign credential and an assessment of their foreign education from an approved agency, and
- meet all requirements of the FSW Program.
Applications per eligible occupation:
The cap year began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014, unless otherwise stated by the Minister.
Total received toward the overall cap:
(by National Occupational Classification [NOC] code)
|Number of complete applications countedFootnote 1|
|0211 Engineering managers|
|1112 Financial and investment analysts|
|2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers|
|2131 Civil engineers|
|2132 Mechanical engineers|
|2134 Chemical engineers|
|2143 Mining engineers|
|2145 Petroleum engineers|
|2144 Geological engineers|
|2146 Aerospace engineers|
|2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)|
|2154 Land surveyors|
|2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers|
|2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics|
|2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety|
|3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists|
|3143 Occupational Therapists|
|3211 Medical laboratory technologists|
|3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants|
|3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists|
|3215 Medical Radiation Technologists|
|3216 Medical Sonographers|
|3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists|
Note: Due to the large number of applications we get, we cannot check that each one is complete on the same day it gets to the office. The numbers on this page are updated at least once a week, but are only a guide. There is no guarantee that an application sent in now will fall within the cap by the time it gets to the Centralized Intake Office.
Applications in the PhD stream:
CIC will accept 1,000 applications for processing per year under the PhD stream. To apply under this stream, you must have either
- finished at least two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, or
- graduated from a Canadian PhD program in the 12 months before we get your application.
Find out more about eligibility for this category.
The new PhD cap year began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014, unless otherwise stated by the Minister.
- Date Modified: