After you apply – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Is your Express Entry profile about to expire? Express Entry profiles are valid for one year. See how you can re-create a profile once yours has expired.

Once you send your application, there are a few things you can expect.

How we assess your application

After you apply, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will verify that you have:

  • filled out your online application for permanent residence correctly,
  • paid your processing fee,
  • met all the requirements,
  • included all documents.

If you are not truthful in your Express Entry profile or application for permanent residence:

  • your application could be refused,
  • you could be found inadmissible, and
  • you could be barred for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason.

We will contact you through your MyCIC account when we have reviewed your application. You can get updates on the status of your application through your MyCIC account. You will be told what you need to do and what will happen next.

Processing times

We expect to process most applications for permanent residence through the Express Entry system in six months or less, after we get a complete application.

You may be able to avoid delays by updating your MyCIC account if there are any changes to your personal information, such as your address, telephone number or email, or if there are changes to your family structure.

Your application may be delayed if:

  • there are criminal or security problems,
  • we need to do more background checks,
  • your family situation is not clear – reasons could include a divorce or an adoption that is not yet complete, or child custody issues that have not been resolved,
  • we need to verify information, or
  • you need to submit more documents or go to an interview with us.

You can check the status of your application online using your MyCIC account.

  • Login to MyCIC.
  • Once on the “Welcome to MyCIC” page, scroll to the bottom.
  • Under “View my submitted applications or profiles,” there is a table.
  • Under “Application type” it will say “Express Entry.” Choose the “Check status and messages” button.

The “Application Details” table shows the status of each stage.

Decision on your application

The officer will make a decision on your application based on if you:

  • meet the eligibility criteria for the program, and
  • are admissible to Canada (based on the results of your medical exam, police certificates, background checks, etc.).

We will contact you through your MyCIC account if you need to send more documents or go to an interview.

If we approve your application, we will issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and/or permanent resident visa. If you have not already paid your Right of Permanent Residence fees, you should do this now.

If you are currently working in Canada

If your existing work permit is about to expire, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit. If you are eligible, this permit can let you keep working while you wait for a final decision on your permanent residence application.

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application, we will issue you a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and, if you are from a country that requires visas, a permanent resident visa.

Your COPR will have information about who you are, as well as your photograph. Please check to make sure it is all correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact us through your MyCIC account.

If you are arriving from outside Canada, be sure to follow the instructions in the letter that came with your immigration document(s).You must have your COPR and your visa (if you need one) with you when you arrive in Canada.

Get ready to settle in Canada

This website has helpful information about living and finding work in Canada.It can help you prepare to arrive.

You can find out the steps to take to get your education, work experience, professional licences/certificates recognized in Canada.

CIC also funds services that help newcomers settle and adapt to life in Canada. These services are free overseas, as well as in the area where you plan to settle in Canada. They include:

  • help to adapt to your new Canadian workplace,
  • language tests and classes to improve your language skills,
  • information about community services, such as mentoring, and
  • finding a place to live, and more.

Some useful tools to help get you started:

Date Modified: