We will start taking new applications to sponsor parents and grandparents on January 4, 2016 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. There will be a cap on the number we accept. We will not accept applications we receive before this date.
You can now get the 2016 application package on this site.
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).
If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent. You are responsible for supporting your parent or grandparent financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your parent or grandparent does not need to seek social assistance from the government.
Determine your eligibility
Find out if you are eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent.
If you live in Quebec, you will need to meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.
The process to sponsor your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor.
Check processing times
Find out how long it will take CIC to process your application for family sponsorship.
After you apply: get next steps
Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.
Prepare for arrival
Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.
- Which family members may come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How old must my spouse or common-law partner be for me to sponsor them to immigrate to Canada?
- Does CIC recognize marriages conducted by proxy, telephone, internet and fax?
- How do I sponsor my spouse, partner or dependent child to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?
Protect yourself from fraud
Embrace Canadian culture
Find out about multiculturalism in Canada
- Date Modified: