Citizenship and Immigration Canada has now received 5,000 complete applications and the new intake into the PGP program will again pause until next year. The government will continue to move forward with the Action Plan for Faster Family Reunification by reducing backlogs, improving processing times and reuniting families more quickly. For those who wish to bring their families to Canada, the Super Visa still remains a quick and easy way to reunite parents and grandparents with their loved ones.
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).
If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent. You are responsible for supporting your parent or grandparent financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your parent or grandparent does not need to seek social assistance from the government.
Determine your eligibility
Find out if you are eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent.
If you live in Quebec, you will need to meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.
The process to sponsor your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor.
Check processing times
Find out how long it will take CIC to process your application for family sponsorship.
After you apply: get next steps
Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.
Prepare for arrival
Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.
- Can I sponsor my parents or grandparents if they are affected by the earthquake in Nepal?
- Which family members may come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How do I pay for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent?
- When does the parent and grandparent sponsorship program re-open to new applications
- How do I sponsor my spouse, partner or dependent child to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?
Protect yourself from fraud
Embrace Canadian culture
Find out about multiculturalism in Canada
- Date Modified: