Sponsor your parents and grandparents

The online submission form to show your interest in sponsoring a parent or grandparent closed at noon on February 2, 2017. We have now randomly selected 10 000 people to apply. Find out more.

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).

If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent. You are responsible for supporting your parent or grandparent financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your parent or grandparent does not need to seek social assistance from the government.

Determine your eligibility

Find out if you are eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent.

If you live in Quebec, you will need to meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.

Tell us you want to sponsor

To sponsor your parent or grandparent, the first step is to tell us you want to apply. We will randomly select people and invite them to apply.


If you are invited to apply, you can fill out the forms and apply to sponsor your parents or grandparents.

Check processing times

Find out how long it will take CIC to process your application for family sponsorship.

After you apply: get next steps

Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.

Prepare for arrival

Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.

Find out if you are eligible

Come to Canada
Date Modified: