If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor certain relatives to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).
If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your relative. You are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek social assistance from the government.
Determine your eligibility
Find out if you are eligible to sponsor other relatives.
If you live in Quebec, you will need to meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.
Information for parents and grandparents
Effective November 5, 2011, no new applications to sponsor parents or grandparents are being accepted for processing for up to 24 months. However, parents and grandparents may be eligible to visit Canada for up to two years under the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa. Learn more about the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.
The temporary pause on applications to sponsor parents and grandparents does not affect sponsorship applications for adopted children and other eligible relatives, who use the same application kit.
The process to sponsor your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor.
Check processing times
Find out how long it will take CIC to process your application for family sponsorship.
After you apply: get next steps
Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.
Prepare for arrival
Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.
- Can I sponsor my parents or grandparents if they are affected by Typhoon Haiyan?
- Which family members may come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How do I cancel my application for family sponsorship?
- I want to sponsor my parents, grandparents, a newly adopted child or another relative. How do I do this?
- How do I sponsor my spouse, partner or dependent child to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?
- Date Modified: